Sunday, April 18, 2010

Ambassadors

Hello Cohort 7,

In class last week I shared my philosophy that every teacher or administrator in special education is an ambassador for individuals with disabilities. By this, I mean that choosing a profession in special education comes with a responsibility to create connections and relationships with others in and out of schools that pave the way for people with disabilities to have membership. By this I mean showing everyone how individuals with disabilities contribute to society and have a right to belong.

We talked as a group about the term "disability" and it's connotations and discussed how the meaning has been socially constructed in our culture. The readings this week further illustrated how language can influence perceptions and vice versa. In the readings, Kathy Snow shares her perspective on the term disability and eloquently advocates for person-first language. You will find, in your career, you will need to be an example for how to talk about students with disabilities and be an advocate for the rights and humanity of individuals who are different in their abilities from the norm. Congratulations on your journey to becoming a special education teacher!

2 comments:

  1. We spoke in class about calling ourselves "Learning Specialists" instead of "Special Education teacher". I certainly like "Learning Specialist" better but if I were to identify myself as such, I tried to imagine the conversation that would follow.
    "Learning Specialist? What is that?"
    Do I say, "I teach individuals with disabilities and exceptionalities." (to me this means learners identified as TAG)
    But would the general public understand this? Would I be forced to explain that I teach children with special needs as well as talented and gifted children? It would almost seem defensive on my part as if I were giving the message, "I teach children with special needs...BUT!... I also teach children with giftedness too!" As if I were insinuating that the latter were in someway "better". That feels terrible.
    Am I reading too much into this? How would you explain "Learning Specialist"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Autumn,
    The term would refer to a certified teacher who adapts curriculum and environments and testing to meet the needs of a variety of students. This could suggest that the role is more fluid among students and is not limited to just those in special education but, special education is typically the primary focus, even with this title because of the laws that govern.

    ReplyDelete